Google Trends, Google Analytics, MOZ and Google.com

My Google Analytics UA tracking number for my marketing blog:
My real time report is below:


I used both Google and Moz SEO for this assignment.
Starting with Google Analytics, I wanted to look at how people search for vacations within the United States. Is it United States as a whole? Is it by a specific state? Finally, is it by a specific area within that state?
Starting with the broad search of "United States Vacation rentals" and "Maine Vacation rentals".  I saw a large gap of 11 for US to 95 for Maine. I then added to the search the basic term, linen rentals, which showed high at 76. Finally I added Cottage Linens and one of their competitors The Furies, a linen rental company based in Massachusetts. As you can see by the diagram, the difference between the United Sates as a whole and Maine was very wide, and didn't appear to have any correlation to to each other. However, Maine vacation rentals and linen rentals did relate to each other. Unfortunately, the search for linen rentals can also mean party materials, tents, table cloths and napkins, which are commonly rented for weddings and special events.



United States vacation rentals was too broad,  I decided to narrow it down to two states, Maine and Massachusetts. I chose Massachusetts because it is home to The Furies, a competitor of Cottage Linens. The results were about the same, Massachusetts has 17 hits and the United States as a whole had 11 hits.  The trend of Linen rental as a search term is still high at 76, yet zero for both Cottage Linens and The Furies.



I considered the search for the states of Maine and Massachusetts might be too broad. I decided to search for specific and well known vacation spots in each state.  I chose Cape Cod Massachusetts and Ogunquit Maine. The number difference between Cape Cod and Ogunquit was still large. I was also disappointed to see Cottage Linens and The Furies still had a 0.

The research and numbers received from Google, had me thinking about other search engines.
I decided to look at Moz.com. Knowing, that I am only allowed two free searches a day, I entered the very specific term "bed linen rental companies Maine". The results I received were far more specific than Google, in fact, the CottageLinens.net actually appeared. Not only did the Cottage Linens website appear, when I searched for "bed linen rental companies Maine", it was at the top!
Looking at the SERP rank below, CottageLinens.net was number 1!!



I continued on the MOZ.com site by clicking on the SERP Analysis arrow. This led me to the Organic Search page, Cottage Linens was again at the top of this page as number one. This is very exciting news considering we have spent very little on digital advertising. Cottage Linens has primarily focused on the old school word of mouth, chamber of commerce and paper advertisements. This past year I have started a digital marketing footprint with Facebook, Instagram and finally Twitter. The end of July, I began a Google Adwords campaign for Cottage Linens, hoping to draw more business and notoriety. Oddly it shows on MOZ  before Google Analytics.
After looking at Google Analytics and MOZ, I decided to look at Google, just plain Google.com. I entered in "Bed Linens Maine" Cottage Linens showed up 2nd to Cuddledown, which only sells bed linens.

Keeping in mind the "rental" keyword I narrowed my Google Search to "bed linen rentals Maine." Cottage Linens showed as third, behind two advertisements A+ Party Rental and JCPenney.
A+ Party Rental and JC Penney do not rent bed linens. A+ Party rentals, rents typical party equipment and table linens, but no bed linens.  JC Penney only sells linens and obviously has the money to cover a blanket search of all "linen" searches.
To me the results are very interesting, after running a Google Ad Words campaign for Cottage Linens and doing other online and digital marketing, the efforts only showed in basic searches. It was Google.com that surprised me the most, CottageLinens.net was 3rd for search and 1st for organic search. Also on MOZ .com it appeared at the top, as number 1.
This is very positive and encouraging news but there is still much to do.





Comments

Popular Posts